I’ve been doing P90X, P90X Plus, and Insanity for about two years now, and I’ve learned a lot by trial and error, as well as lots of research, about supplements. There are some supplements I’ve tried that really didn’t seem to do anything for me and others that I feel have been very effective. Below is the list of supplements I am currently using that have worked very well for me so that you can evaluate if these are supplements you want to try as well.
In my experience they will help you reach your goals much faster than without them. For me personally, I wouldn’t want to put in the time, effort, and energy into an intense workout program like P90X or Insanity without having these supplements to maximize the benefits of all that hard work. With that said, here’s my favorite supplements — the ones I feel are well worth the cost:
– Shakeology – This is by far my favorite P90X supplement. If there was only one supplement I could use, this would be it. I gave it a trial run just to see what the hype was about (they offer a 30 day guarantee so you have nothing to lose). Well, after the first month on Shakeology, I signed up for home direct and have been using it EVERY day since. If you weigh the costs of this vs. what you currently eat at breakfast or lunch, and want to use this as a meal replacement, then you won’t even spend any more money than you are now, and you’ll be fueling your body with the best possible nutrition to maximize your results with your fitness. I’ve used it every day for almost a year and a half now, and I believe it’s one of the keys to the amazing fitness and health results I now enjoy! You can see my full review of Shakeology by clicking here.
– P90X Results/Recovery Formula – I am a firm believer in the Results/Recovery Formula after using it for nearly two years and seeing / feeling the results in myself. I love the way it makes me feel. No more post-workout fatigue and it greatly reduces soreness. This is exactly what your muscles need to refuel and maximize their potential following a hard workout. It has 10 g of protein giving this product the ideal 4:1 carb to protein ratio for post workout absorption. It also contains arginine and glutamine, which facilitate muscle recovery and energy replenishment. It has an excellent balance of electrolytes and vitamins to replace what has been depleted during exercise. Learn more about Results/Recovery formula by clicking here.
– Whey Protein Powder – You will need to consume a lot of protein to fuel your muscles. A good quality protein powder is critical to giving you what your body needs. It can be tough to get enough protein in the foods you eat and supplementing becomes necessary. Beachbody sells whey protein powder, but I primarily use Optimum Nutrition Gold 100% Whey because it is more affordable.
– Creatine – This supplement helps volumize the muscles with water so that they can draw more nutrients in to aid with recovery and muscle building. You can click here to see the stuff I use. With creatine you need to cycle 2 months on and 1 month off. If you are unsure about using creatine, google it and read reviews. Let me also add that I did not use creatine until my fourth round of P90X, so it is possible to get great results without it. My transformation pictures you see are before I started using creatine. I now want to take my results to the next level which is why I started incorporating it.
– Omega 3 Fish Oil Capsules – I’ve been using these for several years before I ever even heard of P90X. It’s good for your heart, for your brain, for your eyes, hair, and skin, it decreases inflammation and a number of other things. I feel this is something everybody should be taking whether you’re working out or not. I use Beachbody’s brand of omega 3 capsules because it’s made from 100% pure, premium ingredients and it doesn’t give you that nasty fishy aftertaste that a lot of others do.